This is an IMPORTANT DAY to weigh in. The American Health Care Act (AHCA) is gaining traction for a possible vote this week in the U.S. House of Representatives. Below we lay out what is in the current bill – including significant reform to the Medicaid program – and why ANCOR does not support it. This is the moment to make it clear that we cannot support healthcare and Medicaid reform that does not SUPPORT providers and people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD)!
HERE IS WHAT IS IN THE CURRENT BILL AND WHY ANCOR DOES NOT SUPPORT IT
- AHCA seeks to replace the Medicaid entitlement with a per-capita cap proposal in AHCA that will likely result in funding cuts to states WITHOUT a guarantee that states will spend any dollars they receive on I/DD programs.
- AHCA contains a proposed annual Medicaid growth rate but we have little information about whether that will be sufficient to sustain and strengthen I/DD programs.
- AHCA ends the enhanced match rate for the Community First Choice Option which helps to move people with I/DD out of state-run institutions.
- AHCA includes NO incentives to address the healthcare workforce and especially the DSP workforce crisis.
- AHCA allows states to waive essential health benefits including rehabilitative benefits important to people with disabilities.
- AHCA allows states to consider a person's health record and preexisting conditions when assessing insurance rates – this takes away current preexisting condition protections!
ANCOR thinks Congress can do better for providers and people with disabilities – don't you?! Take two minutes to send a message to your Member of Congress in the U.S. House of Representatives. If you want more background read this and this – but no matter what, TAKE ACTION!